Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Yoga is Sex

Oh yeah, there are some who would read that title and think wow, you dirty, dirty girl. I, for one, don't think of sex as something that's taboo, that's too embarrassing to talk about, that's slutty. Sex is energy, life, release, and expansion. Yoga is sex. Sometimes. Tonight. And in those times it's fricking amazing.

Now, let's start with a fairly obvious and not surprising statement: many yoga instructors have beautiful bodies. Ok? They just do. But more than that, there are some who are much more than just pleasing to look at. And when you can feel someone's internal energy, strength, vitality, and openess and allow yourself to join them at this level, you can be in for one helluva ride. There are times I've hated classes. Almost from the very start, I know if I connect with the instructor or not. And I push through, but leave feeling almost pissed and annoyed. There are also times it's more just about the physical movement. There are times I start to feel something emotional happening, and I freak out and flail and kill it. And then, oh then, there are times I'm so THERE. It's not the brain working. In fact, like most things I find in this realm, the brain is hanging out on autopilot and letting the rest of something (what? what IS it?) take over and you become a part of something much larger than yourself. You're sharing in the beauty that's both inside you and in the others around you. You ride the wave of energy as it swirls and dips and massages your core with a fluid grace that gently guides you to a different plane. And if you stay there, it's bliss. Absolute and total bliss. I promise.

And it's sex. Pure organic sex. The kind of sex I hope everyone has experienced. There's no going through the motions, no self-consciousness, no nervousness. Noooo. It's the kind you have with someone you are incredibly connected to. You share each other's energy and transfer it back and forth, moving it around, feeling it snake through your body as your brain shuts off and your body takes over. You explore, you give in, you surrender, and you're taken to a place of utter euphoria. And after you just melt and find peace and love and an openess like none other. This is sex. This is also, my friends, yoga.

I often wonder how people can say they don't like yoga. Or it's not something they'd want to try. Holy man are they missing out. And of course, these amazing experiences don't happen every single time. I may never leave the yoga studio otherwise. :-) But knowing they can, knowing they do... yeah..... that alone is reason to continue on this path. I have a particular love for heart openers of all sorts. (hee hee love. heart openers. yep) And for me, it's these poses that expose me and offer up this freedom.

It makes me sad to be around people who are closed off. Who can't or won't put themselves out there and take the risk associated with exploring their bodies, giving their hearts, and letting themselves be known. I understand many of the why's. I have been there. I cherish those people who have joined me up here in this space. And I enter it and then step out, then come back to it. But every single time it welcomes me back with open arms and then surrounds me with such warmth and support that I feel safe, strong, held, and loved.

It is beauty.
It is joy.
It is strength.
It is vitality.
And it is me.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment