Sunday, January 2, 2011

Osho #22: Love's Fragility



















Let's start by getting something clear. I don't like the title of this meditation whatsoever. I've thought about it off and on since first reading the title last night and my thoughts keep going back to saying a huge THAT'S B.S. MR. OSHO! ;-) I respectfully disagree.

Now, we can say the heart is fragile (some of our hearts are fragile as all getout actually). The ego is fragile. Life is fragile. I can think of a million things that I'd agree can be termed fragile. But not love. Nuh uh. Love is freakin' powerful, strong, and vast.

What would you do for love? The jaded may say "not much. it's not worth it." But really, What.Would.You.Do.For.Love???? There isn't much I WOULDN'T do for the damn thing. I almost destroyed myself for it once, which some may fingerpoint and say "see! see! it's fragile!" but I think it's the opposite. It is so powerful that people (me) are willing to reach into the deepest places within themselves and hold on to it and give and give even when there doesn't seem to be anything left to give. Hell, people have died for love. And people have also been moved to incredible heights because of love.

Almost to a fault, I'm an intensely protective person. You hurt someone I care for and I'm not going to stand by and let you have at them. It's love that powers me in this way. It can make me almost get my ex in a bar fight b/c a friend was being wronged by an a$$hole. (oops :-) ) It can make me not even think twice of jumping kicking and punching into the middle of 3 dogs attacking Katja to keep her safe (mmm, never said love was smart...).


And it can hurt us. Oh my God it can hurt us. It can make us so miserable we're left sobbing, feeling our heart has been ripped from our chest and tossed aside, a few shards of glass ground into the poor thing for good measure. And it does feel like this sometimes. Trust me. But even with this, the good in love, the potential for finding the good in love, it's so amazing that most of us press on and are willing to open ourselves to it again and again, knowing the risks.

People say love is fragile and we need to handle it with care. I say it's all the other stuff related to love that needs to be handled with care. When it's all said and done, even if someone hurts us incredibly, we may feel disrespected, we may feel angry, we may feel hurt, but does it make us stop loving? For me, no. It's always there, if nothing more than a buried thread that has only the slightest hum of life left in it, it's there. It doesn't go away. You can't fix it. You can't turn it on and off at will. (unfortunately. seriously. many of us would be better off if we had that power) You can choose to walk away from a situation because it's not right for you, but can you say you are walking away from love? From being *in love* with someone, 100% for sure. HUGE distinction there. But do you no longer have any love for that person? Maybe I'm in the minority here, a bleeding heart, a big ole sap, but it doesn't go away. The capacity we have to move mountains for the sake of love puts it at the pinnacle of the mound of emotions. Many things are fickle. Fleeting. Vapid. Love, true love for another, becomes a part of us and intertwines itself throughout our bodies so that it's impossible to separate it and remove it as a separate entity. We are love.

So, fragile? I think not. Not by a longshot.

No comments:

Post a Comment