Monday, November 1, 2010

New Fence



I have a new fence on my back property line. At first glance, it's not much; a fence like many others.

It's not the fence I wanted. I had drawn out a neat horizontal slatted deal. I was excited about that. Then life happened and things got put on hold and while my parents were helping me recover from a little incident this summer, Dad said, "About that fence. It really needs to go." I know, Dad, but I haven't had a chance to take care of it. "I'll do it for you. We're leaving in a few days, but I think I can knock it out." Ok, well, here's what I want. "I will build you a fence, but given time and resources it'll be a standard privacy fence & will be functional." This is not what a want, Dad. "I know, Kris, but it's what you need." (side note: my father is the only person I'm aware of to ever call me Kris)

And so the fence was built. In 95+ degree heat by a 75 year old man. One of the most determined (and stubborn) men I've ever known. And I was happy to have it, but it didn't resonate with anything. It was just a fence.

But today I remembered a boy once told me: things that hurt us, relationship problems, arguments and negative happenings of all sorts...each of these puts a hole in our fence. It's up to us to patch them up. And sometimes that patch will be stronger than the original spot, but other times the patch will require constant mending. Either way, it's never the same as before.

Given my last few years, my existing fence had become full of way too many patches. Some holes remained. It was brittle. It was weak. Then one particular situation smashed it to pieces, and though I tiredly pieced it back together, it was a very sad state of affairs. It was time for it to go. What I intended to rebuild would have been pretty, interesting, a structure I'd enjoy looking at.

Instead, my father knew what I needed. While my design would have been neat to look at, the gaps between boards would allow alley-walkers to peer inside my world. No, I needed a new, solid fence that would allow me to open it to those I wanted to see in.

With this new fence my world also expanded. 15' of unused property was behind my old boards. "It's area to use for whatever you want. And now you've also brought in that tree that comes with a bird nest."

And it annoyed me that he left many remnants of the old fence in my backyard. Metal posts, concrete. Yet, Dad was on to something here. He removed the easy stuff: boards, misc. wood, some dirt. But it was up to me to clear out the remainder of the old, the big, the heavy $hit.

So this new fence. Yep, it's utilitarian. But it was built with love by my father. And with this I gained strength, solidness, extra space from which to grow, and life. Things aren't always what they seem. There can be much beauty in what many disregard as insignificant & ordinary.

1 comment: